Category: Construction

Sewing-Inspired Gift Wrap

There’s nothing as bah humbug as receiving a horribly wrapped gift. Even worse is receiving a present that is packaged the same way it left the store, which is the way my brothers usually do it. James and Gerrit, did I teach you nothing? I love finding the perfect gift for someone, especially if it involves some sort of sneaky, recon mission, and then wrapping it in coordinating paper, bows and other stringy, glittery things. But for my gifts to sewers, how to cover the box or the envelope has always been slightly tricky. I’ve tried using fabric, but it looks beck-homecky. This year, my sewing-related gifts will be present perfect, thanks to sewing-inspired gift wrap I added to my shop on Available in both satin and matte rolls that measure 26” x 72”, it’s a pretty good deal at $13.50 each. Yes, it’s more expensive than the Hallmark variety, but does Hallmark carry this kind of uniqueness? So, if you will be gifting a sewer this season, step up your wrap game and click here to see all the pretty papers. While you’re at it, check out Rochelle’s gift wrap too! Please note that it takes approximately 10-12 calendar days to print/produce an order. Rush shipping is available if the deadline is tight. Can be shipped internationally.

Read More >>>

tags: Construction Comments: 10

What i Made: The Nettie Bodysuit + Giveaway

It’s a familiar scene: a harried woman is perched in front of her closet and wailing to herself, “I have nothing to wear!” The absence of appropriate attire is a legitimate reason to lament, which is why having staples and basics is imperative to well-being and well-dressing. You’ll always know what to reach for. A classic trench, a striped tee, a pair of blue jeans – all are must-haves. And a backless body suit – another essential. Without it, your closet is replete, but with it, you’re locked, loaded and ready to go in any situation. Last year, Heather Lou released the hit pattern of the summer, The Bombshell Swimsuit, and this year, she’s at it again, just launching The Nettie, a dress and body suit. Inspired by one of everyone’s favorite blogger, Nette, The Nettie features a scoop neck and a low-cut bottom. Intended to be a versatile basic, sewers have many silhouette options: 3 sleeve lengths, 2 necklines and 3 back variations. Last, it has an optional snap closure so you don’t have to remove the entire thing when in the ladies room (I hate that!). When I received the email to be a pattern tester, my response was, I responded without any qualms for hesitation, “Did somebody say bodysuit? I’m in.” The instructions suggest using a 4-way stretch fabric with at least 50% crosswise stretch. I had a 2-way stretch lace in my stash (also used to make this intimates set) and I was confident that I could use it as long as I placed the DOGS (direction of greatest stretch) around the body. I cut the smallest size (size 4) and the only pattern change I made was reducing the back crotch length (I have a petite torso, but long legs). Because my version is not bra friendly, I underlined the front with satin…

Read More >>>

tags: Construction, What I've Made Comments: 58

Colette Guide to Sewing Knits Giveaway

Sewing knits is uncharted territory for many seamstresses. Unlike wovens, they have a give that it not exact, and because of that, it can be frustrating and hard to handle. Getting to know knits – their structure, how they’re made, best ways to cut, most effective tools, etc. – can make the leap into this category of sewing a lot easier. That’s where “Colette’s Guide to Sewing Knits” comes in, the newest book from my favorite indie company. Colette teamed up with industry expert Alyson Clair to give home sewers the know-how and the confidence to tackle any type of project involving stretchy fabric. For me, it was the chapter on sergers that I had the most fun reading. My current serger is on its way to the grave and I don’t plan on resurrecting it. By year’s end, I hope to upgrade to a better make and model (my eye is set Bernina’s 1150 MDA). The book’s basic overview of a serger plus tips on threading, different types of stitches and troubleshooting for stitching problems will definitely help me when shopping. Sergers are just a fraction of what this book offers. In my opinion, the book’s title needs a minor alteration; Colette’s Complete Guide to Sewing Knits is more appropriate. This book covers it all! Sarai and Alyson are offering a copy of the book to one Madalynne reader. To enter, like Madalynne and Colette Patterns on Facebook. Then, in the comments below, specify your method of entry and your contact information. If you’re already a follower on either platforms, don’t worry, just tell me so in the comments. Contest opens immediately and will close May 1, when a winner will be chosen, notified and featured on this blog. And can we end with congratulations to Sarai and Alyson –…

Read More >>>

tags: Construction Comments: 162