First of all, I’ve decided that going forward, I am going to name the garments I make. I named my car Rose and I named my bike Selena, so why not my clothes? I have always had an affinity towards cool names; a page in my sketchbook (which I take EVERYWHERE) has a page dedicated to names I like – Landon, Tallullah, Peonia. Plus, naming this is fun.
So this is Harryett, a mint green maxi skirt (I added a little panache by changing the spelling of her name) I made for no particular reason. There was no event to attend and there was no hot date coming up on the calendar. I simply made it because I saw and fell in love with a bridal outfit that was in a J. Crew catalog last year. Amidst all the traditional gowns featured in the catalog was this ensemble. How cool of a bride would you and I be if we wore this to our wedding! Even better would be if we wore Converse’s to top off the whole ensemble.
Let’s talk construction and patterns. The pattern for this skirt was very simple to draft. I didn’t use my block because the pattern was simply a square/rectangle that was shirred into a straight-cut waistband. All I had to figure out was the shirring ratio (2:1) and the length. The length is a little short but intentionally so. I wanted this skirt to be a dress-up or a dress-down piece. I wanted to be able to wear it with flat shoes (i.e. sandals or Converse’s) and a tee (as the model wore in the J. Crew catalog) or with heels and a fancy blouse. If worn with heels, I wanted the length to be short enough to showcase a pair of crazy shoes (as I did in the photo).
The skirt is completely reversible! Yes. One hundred percent reversible! The skirt is made of a mint green taffeta and a sheer white organza. I chose the two fabric to go along with the dress-up, dress-down theme of the skirt. Wearing the skirt with the organza on the exterior would be for a more formal occasion while wearing the skirt with the taffeta on the exterior would be for a less formal occasion. To make it completely reversible, I clean finished the waist band and button and loop closure (which is at center back and isn’t shown in the photos). Also, when inserting the two layers into the waistband, I inserted it so that the side seams and bottom hem seam allowances (French seams on side seams and clean turnback at bottom hem) faced each other on the interior. And just as a little detail, I inserted a picot trim at the top and bottom of waistband.