Category: What I’ve Made

My Bra Challenge

The word proactive is fairly commonplace, but really, its core definition is obscure. Proactive means more than just taking initiative. At its roots, it means that as human beings, we are responsible for our own lives. A proactive person’s behavior is not a result of their environment, but a conscious decision based off their values. Regardless of their external stimuli (weather, social environment), they feel a responsibility to make a change about an unquestioning, unstinting and wholehearted belief. My belief is the handmade. Being proactive can dump us into our most difficult situations, but these experiences are what become the crucibles that forge our character and our skills to tassel out and blossom. It also helps us handle similar situations in the future more effectively and inspires others to take on a challenge as well. In my opinion, Project Sewn is more than a competition, it’s an example of being proactive. Marce was a competitor in a previous season, and in each installment, she accented the ranks of seamstress. At the end, she had graduated from home sewer to couturier (she deserves a crown, emirate?). Asked to make a garment based off a pair of shoes, she hand pieced a guipure lace bolero to fit her shape. Damn, that was good… I’m going to be proactive and take on a self-imposed challenge. My bra making skills have developed slowly but surely. I’m at a place now where I confidently show off and intelligently speak about what I make. But I can be better; I know it. What I need to do is dare myself into “can’t” land. I think I can’t sew 3 sets of lingerie in one weekend, but that’s only because I don’t think I can. So, on top of all my other projects, even if it means…

Read More >>>

tags: What I've Made Comments: 18

What i Made: The Nettie Bodysuit + Giveaway

It’s a familiar scene: a harried woman is perched in front of her closet and wailing to herself, “I have nothing to wear!” The absence of appropriate attire is a legitimate reason to lament, which is why having staples and basics is imperative to well-being and well-dressing. You’ll always know what to reach for. A classic trench, a striped tee, a pair of blue jeans – all are must-haves. And a backless body suit – another essential. Without it, your closet is replete, but with it, you’re locked, loaded and ready to go in any situation. Last year, Heather Lou released the hit pattern of the summer, The Bombshell Swimsuit, and this year, she’s at it again, just launching The Nettie, a dress and body suit. Inspired by one of everyone’s favorite blogger, Nette, The Nettie features a scoop neck and a low-cut bottom. Intended to be a versatile basic, sewers have many silhouette options: 3 sleeve lengths, 2 necklines and 3 back variations. Last, it has an optional snap closure so you don’t have to remove the entire thing when in the ladies room (I hate that!). When I received the email to be a pattern tester, my response was, I responded without any qualms for hesitation, “Did somebody say bodysuit? I’m in.” The instructions suggest using a 4-way stretch fabric with at least 50% crosswise stretch. I had a 2-way stretch lace in my stash (also used to make this intimates set) and I was confident that I could use it as long as I placed the DOGS (direction of greatest stretch) around the body. I cut the smallest size (size 4) and the only pattern change I made was reducing the back crotch length (I have a petite torso, but long legs). Because my version is not bra friendly, I underlined the front with satin…

Read More >>>

tags: Construction, What I've Made Comments: 58

What i Made: Intimates

It’s about to get intimate. Keeping it PG-13, at least in my opinion, I bared it all for the sake of lace and high waisted undies. Intimates look so much better on body than flat, amirite? For many sewers, making a jacket is a defining moment in their career. It says, “I have arrived as a stitcher.” Before, they were a nascent maker, but after, they are an adept, able and competent craftsperson. Conquering lapels’ sharp corners and pivots, and bagging a lining, they can do anything from there on out. For me, it’s not mastering jackets that makes me a real sewist; it’s intimates. Getting the hang of and developing a hand for elastic, stretch fabrics and hooks and eyes requires a keen and a devoted personality. I can attest to that. I spent half of 2012 and most of 2013 tweaking a bra and an undie pattern I bought when I first starting sewing intimates. But by the end of the year, that pattern had become Humpty Dumpty, broken and put back together again too many times. A frankenpattern. I needed to start clean and fresh. Mentally too. So, I took a step back from bra making for 4 months. Then, in early March, I met Norma for the first time during a meet-up Lauren organized in NYC. During the peak of my bra making, her book, Demystifying Bra Fitting and Construction, could have been considered my wingman, piloting me in a potentially dangerous situation involving lace, underwire and zigzag stitching. She told me about the projects she was working on, and it pushed my tush to get back in the game. First stop when I got back to Philly – Free People to buy my favorite RTW bra so that I could rub off the pattern. If you’re an…

Read More >>>

tags: What I've Made Comments: 24